If you are seeking to achieve voluminous and rejuvenated lips, lip threading, as well as lip fillers are both highly recommended methods of doing so because each of these techniques has its own set of benefits as well as concerns, choosing between them is a somewhat subjective one.
This comprehensive article was written to provide an honest and comprehensive overview of lip threads vs. fillers to assist consumers in making an informed choice about which technique would be most appropriate for them in terms of lip augmentation based on their preferences and goals.
What is Lip Threading?
It is generally considered that lip threading, also called lip thread lift, is a non-invasive treatment characterized by dissolvable PDO (polydioxanone) threads placed delicately into the lips to augment their volume and provide a lifting effect. Using the present technique, it is possible to stimulate collagen synthesis, which will result in long-term and natural enhancement of the lip volume in a safe and effective way.
What is the Collagen-Stimulating Effect in Lip Threading?
The collagen-stimulating effect is a significant advantage associated with lip threading. The dissolution of PDO threads stimulates the body’s collagen synthesis, enhancing skin elasticity and texture. The process of collagen synthesis aids in the preservation of lip augmentation outcomes, even after the complete dissolution of the threads.
Lip threading has gained significant popularity among those desiring a more subtle and authentic lip augmentation since it offers an alternative to conventional lip fillers. The method is often well-tolerated and exhibits minimum downtime, enabling folks to resume their everyday activities after the therapy promptly.
It is essential to get guidance from a certified medical practitioner to ascertain the appropriateness of lip threading for one’s requirements and objectives. Medical professionals can evaluate the structure and composition of your lips, engage in a conversation on your intended outcomes, and develop an individualized course of action to get the necessary aesthetic improvements to your lips.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Lip Threading
Lip threading has many benefits, including a non-invasive methodology, a limited recovery period, and the promotion of collagen production to facilitate progressive revitalization. Nevertheless, the insertion process may induce pain, and the outcomes might vary according to each person’s unique healing process and collagen reaction. Sometimes, lip threading that does not provide the desired outcome may result in asymmetrical outcomes or need further corrective interventions.
Benefits of Lip Threading:
- Natural-Looking Results: Lip threading offers a means of naturally augmenting the lips, resulting in a discreet and rejuvenated aesthetic. The progressive enhancement of lip volume and contour aids in mitigating the perception of an excessively augmented or artificial aesthetic.
- Collagen Stimulation: The introduction of polydioxanone (PDO) threads initiates the body’s collagen synthesis, gradually enhancing skin texture and suppleness. The process of collagen synthesis induced by the threads leads to sustained outcomes that persist beyond the dissolution of the threads.
- Minimally Invasive: The lip threading technique is characterized by its minimally invasive nature since it just requires the insertion of PDO threads via tiny needle incisions. Consequently, the therapy entails a reduced likelihood of scarring or notable pain.
- Little to No Downtime: Most folks can promptly resume their usual activities after lip threading. The operation often has a short recovery period compared to more intrusive techniques for enhancing lip appearance.
- Gradual Enhancement: The outcomes of lip threading exhibit a steady progression, allowing patients to observe and modify the desired outcome, if necessary, during consecutive treatment sessions.
Drawbacks of Lip Threading:
- Temporary Results: Lip threading is known for providing durable outcomes due to collagen stimulation; nevertheless, it should be noted that the PDO threads used in this procedure ultimately undergo dissolution within several months. Consequently, the lip augmentation outcomes need touch-up procedures for maintenance purposes.
- Discomfort During Insertion: Certain people may have a small degree of pain or heightened sensitivity while undergoing the procedure of thread insertion. Nevertheless, it is common practice to use topical numbing cream before the surgery to mitigate discomfort.
- Potential Side Effects: Similar to other cosmetic procedures, lip threading has the potential to cause some adverse effects, including transient swelling, bruising, or moderate redness at the locations where the threads are inserted. The observed effects are typically modest and tend to resolve spontaneously.
- Risk of Asymmetry: Attaining optimal symmetry in the context of lip augmentation may present difficulties, and there is little possibility of unequal outcomes associated with lip threading techniques. Opting for a practitioner with extensive expertise and exceptional skills may mitigate this potential danger.
- Revision Procedures: In some instances, the outcome of lip threading may not align with the intended objectives, necessitating the implementation of corrective procedures or other interventions to get the required lip contour and fullness.
What are Lip Fillers?
Lip fillers, on the other hand, include injecting chemicals based on hyaluronic acid into the lips to increase the volume and form of the lips. This methodology enables meticulous regulation of the intended output and prompt outcomes.
Hyaluronic acid is an endogenous compound that plays a vital role in moisture retention inside the human body, contributing to maintaining skin plumpness and hydration. Lip fillers include the meticulous injection of a gel-like material into precise regions of the lips to get the intended cosmetic result.
The lip augmentation treatment begins with an initial consultation with a certified healthcare practitioner, wherein the individual’s lip morphology and desired cosmetic outcomes are deliberated. The practitioner will determine the appropriate filler kind and quantity, considering these criteria.
Administration of Therapy
During the administration of the therapy, a healthcare practitioner uses a slender needle or cannula to introduce the filler substance into the anatomical structure of the lips. The strategic administration of injections is used to augment lip volume and improve lip form, effectively treating many difficulties, including thin lips, asymmetry, and age-related loss of lip volume.
One notable benefit associated with the use of lip fillers is the capacity to tailor the outcomes according to individual preferences. The quantity of filler used by the practitioner may be manipulated, enabling meticulous modifications and yielding aesthetically authentic results. Furthermore, administering lip fillers yields prompt outcomes, wherein patients may readily see the effects immediately after the intervention.
In general, using lip fillers presents a non-invasive and productive method for attaining augmented and aesthetically pleasing lips, hence assisting people in enhancing their self-assurance and realizing their intended objectives in lip augmentation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Lip Fillers
Lip fillers provide immediate and personalized outcomes and minimum pain during the intervention. Moreover, these items possess the characteristic of reversibility, providing individuals with the ability to adapt and modify their choices if they want. Nevertheless, it should be noted that lip fillers do not provide a permanent solution since regular touch-up procedures are required to maintain the ideal lip volume. Furthermore, it is worth noting that some people may encounter transient edema or ecchymosis after administering the injections.
Benefits of Lip Fillers:
- Enhanced Lip Volume: Lip fillers provide an expeditious augmentation of lip volume, resulting in a more voluminous and enhanced aesthetic. This treatment may provide advantages to persons with naturally thin lips or those who want to regain lost volume due to aging.
- Improved Lip Shape and Definition: The use of lip fillers has the potential to augment the contours of the lips, so producing a lip shape characterized by enhanced definition and symmetry. This approach may facilitate the attainment of a harmonious and visually appealing appearance.
- Customizable Results: Lip fillers allow individuals to get their desired aesthetic results in a versatile manner. The quantity of filler used and the injection method may be customized to suit the individual’s tastes and objectives.
- Immediate Results: Lip fillers provide immediate outcomes, unlike several cosmetic treatments that need a period for observable alterations. Individuals can experience immediate satisfaction with their augmented lips after the procedure.
- Minimal Downtime: Lip filler injections often include a brief recovery period, enabling patients to resume their routine activities after the intervention promptly.
Drawbacks of Lip Fillers:
- Temporary Results: Lip augmentation procedures involving the use of fillers are characterized by their non-permanent nature since the physiological process of filler absorption by the body leads to a progressive diminishment of their effects over time. Regular maintenance sessions are necessary to maintain the appropriate volume of the lips.
- Potential Side Effects: Similar to other procedures involving injections, lip fillers provide the possibility of encountering various adverse effects, including but not limited to swelling, bruising, redness, or minor pain in the areas where the injections are administered. Typically, these symptoms are transient and diminish over a few days.
- Allergic Reactions: Although seldom, some people may have adverse responses to the filler substance. Before undergoing the operation, engaging in a comprehensive discussion with the healthcare provider about any known allergies is essential.
- Cost: Using lip fillers might entail a substantial financial commitment, particularly when further treatments are required to maintain the desired outcomes throughout the duration.
- Skill-Dependent Procedure: The efficacy of lip fillers is primarily contingent upon the expertise and level of experience possessed by the healthcare practitioner administering the injections. Opting for a practitioner without expertise increases the likelihood of suboptimal outcomes or possible problems.
Lip Threads vs. Fillers: Which One is Better?
The selection between lip threading and fillers depends on individual preferences, desired aesthetic results, and personal pain tolerance. Lip threading is an appropriate option for those who want a gradual and subtle improvement in their appearance, resulting in a natural aesthetic outcome and the possibility of experiencing lasting advantages. Conversely, lip fillers provide the advantage of prompt outcomes and the flexibility to modify lip volume according to individual preferences.
Lip threads are non-surgical, which results in a quicker recovery and minimal downtime as compared to fillers. The threads also promote collagen production, which leads to improvements in the long run in lip appearance. Most importantly, lip threads guarantee a natural-looking enhancement without the risk of unnatural outcomes and overfilling.
On the other hand, lip fillers are known to offer immediate results. They are also customizable, which means injectors can adjust the treatment to achieve the required lip volume and shape. However, lip fillers are notorious for bruising and swelling, and even allergic reactions. Not to mention, they are often noticeable and do not guarantee a natural appearance.
Selection between Lip Threads and Fillers
The selection between lip threads and fillers is contingent upon individual inclinations, intended results, and considerations such as treatment objectives, pain tolerance, and financial resources. Both lip threading and lip fillers provide distinct benefits and concerns, rendering one technique perhaps more suitable for certain people than others. Let us examine the critical aspects of lip threads vs. fillers:
- Collagen Stimulation: Lip threads can promote collagen formation, resulting in a progressive and aesthetically pleasing augmentation of the lips, even after the dissolution of the threads.
- Long-Lasting Results: The collagen-stimulating properties of lip threading might potentially prolong the advantageous outcomes for up to 18 months.
- Minimal Downtime: Lip threading is often associated with little or no downtime, enabling people to resume their everyday activities promptly.
- Temporary Results: Although collagen stimulation has long-lasting benefits, the PDO threads used in the procedure disintegrate after a few months, therefore requiring more treatments to sustain the desired outcomes.
- Discomfort During Insertion: Certain people may encounter a trim level of discomfort during the thread insertion procedure; however,
- Immediate Results: Lip fillers provide immediate augmentation, allowing people to see the resultant benefits promptly after the intervention.
- Customizable: The quantity and positioning of filler material may be modified to get the desired lip volume and contour.
- Temporary and Reversible: Hyaluronic acid-based fillers are non-permanent and may be effectively eliminated if the person expresses dissatisfaction with the outcomes.
- Temporary Results: Lip fillers exhibit a steady reduction in their effects over time, requiring frequent touch-up treatments to maintain lip volume.
- Potential Side Effects: The injection sites may experience transient swelling, bruising, or minor pain; however, these symptoms typically only last briefly.
Engaging in a comprehensive consultation with a trained healthcare practitioner is essential to make an informed choice on using lip threads or fillers. The professionals can evaluate the structure and characteristics of your lips, engage in a conversation about your objectives, and provide a recommendation that aligns with your specific requirements.
Some people may perceive that the slow improvement and collagen-stimulating advantages of lip threading are more congruent with their preferences. Still, others may choose lip fillers’ rapid and customizable outcomes. Collaborating with a seasoned professional will guarantee optimal and gratifying results in the context of lip augmentation.
Lip Threading Procedure
Watch the following video and learn more:
The lip threading method entails the introduction of polydioxanone (PDO) threads into the lips by the use of a delicate needle. Over time, these threads gradually disintegrate, forming a framework that aids in the synthesis of collagen, hence facilitating ongoing enhancement. PDO threads takes six months to one year to dissolve completely, and the lip enhancement effect could be seen after 3 months.
Lip Filler Procedure
Firstly, you would be applied a tropical anesthetic, so your lip wouldn’t get pain. Then, the lip filler will be injected by a thin needle.
A trained medical practitioner is required to do lip filler injections. This ensures the filler is strategically placed to obtain the desired lip contour and volume.
Both lip threading and fillers need appropriate post-treatment care to get the best outcomes and facilitate a seamless recuperation process. It is advisable to adhere to the directions provided by your healthcare professional, which may include avoiding severe temperatures, minimizing excessive lip movement, and using appropriate lip care products.
Does lip threading hurt?
Although lip threading is considered a minimally invasive technique, it is essential to note that some people may have slight pain while inserting the PDO threads. Nevertheless, it is customary to provide a topical analgesic cream before surgery to mitigate any pain or discomfort.
Is lip threading permanent?
Lip threading is known to provide durable outcomes due to the stimulation of collagen formation by PDO threads, resulting in a steady enhancement of lip volume over an extended period. Nevertheless, the threads possess the characteristic of being biodegradable and will ultimately disintegrate in a few months. The duration of the results often ranges from 12 to 18 months.
How long does threading last on the upper lip?
The duration of lip threading outcomes on the top lip may exhibit variability contingent upon individual circumstances, including metabolic rate, lifestyle choices, and the number of threads used. On average, the duration of the results of lip threading on the top lip might extend for around 18 months.
When should I seek an appointment for a touch-up?
To ensure the longevity of the outcomes achieved by lip threading and to address any changes in lip volume, it is recommended to arrange a follow-up session with a healthcare practitioner around 12 to 18 months after the first surgery. The professionals can evaluate the state of your lips and guide the most suitable approach for ongoing improvement.
What size PDO threads are used for lips?
The selection of PDO threads for lip threading is contingent upon the unique anatomical characteristics of the individual’s lips and the specific amount of augmentation sought. The expert injector will determine the suitable thread size during the consultation process.
Are there any disadvantages to threading the upper lip?
Although lip threading has advantages, such as the attainment of aesthetically pleasing outcomes and the promotion of collagen production, it is essential to consider possible drawbacks, such as transient swelling, bruising, and the uncommon necessity for revision treatments. Getting counsel from a healthcare expert is recommended to obtain a complete grasp of the potential benefits and drawbacks that may be linked to one’s specific situation.
Lip Threads vs. Fillers: Which one is better?
The selection between lip threading and fillers depends on individual preferences, desired aesthetic results, and personal pain tolerance. Lip threading is a progressive method of enhancing lip appearance, potentially yielding long-term advantages, while lip fillers give rapid results and the flexibility to modify lip volume as desired.
What should I do if I experience lip threading gone wrong?
In the event of dissatisfaction with the outcomes or complications after undergoing lip threading, it is vital to communicate promptly with a healthcare practitioner. If deemed essential, the individuals in question can evaluate your problems and provide suitable suggestions for rectification or modification.
Lip threads vs. fillers have distinct advantages in lip augmentation, accommodating diverse tastes and objectives. It is advisable to get guidance from a certified medical practitioner to engage in a comprehensive discussion on available alternatives and ascertain the most suitable approach that matches your intended objective.
You May Also Like to Read: