Have your eyes been feeling a little dim or folded lately? If yes, you must be looking for ways to lift them. The solution to all these problems is a non-surgical procedure called eye lift. The hooded eyes can easily be corrected without surgery by multiple methods listed below.
- Botox injections – in this method, Botulinum doses are injected into the eyelids of the patient. Various people, especially the older generation, use this method.
- Dermal fillers – in this method, fillers are injected into the targeted areas to produce desired results.
- PRP uses the body’s plasma to rejuvenate under-eye bags and sagging eyes.
- The radiofrequency treatment uses ultrasound waves to lift sagging eyelids and skin.
- Laser resurfacing uses lasers to promote new cell growth and enhance collagen production.
Below we’ll discuss more about these non-surgical eyelift procedures for hooded eyes. So, continue reading!
What are hooded eyes?
Hooded eyes emphasize a dense brow bone with a deep-set crease. When hooded eyes are open, the eyelid isn’t usually visible and retreats into the crease. They occur when a person has a lot of skin folding from the brow bone to the lash line. It is a common sign that happens as a person ages. These can often be confused with droopy eyes, but they are not the same.
Differences between hooded and droopy eyes?
Drooping can be mild, but critical cases can impair vision and cause other problems as time progresses, particularly when present in babies. Hooded eyelids, on the contrary, do not affect eyesight or eyelid purpose.
How do you know that you have droopy/hooded eyes?
To figure this out, examine your crease. In hooded eyes, skin droops down over the crease, making your upper eyelid look tinier. If you can’t see the crease in your eye when your eyes are open, that indicates hooded eyes. Moreover, if the skin beneath your brow touches your lash line or comes near to it, you may have droopy eyelids.
What is Dermatochalasis?
It appears as extra skin on eyelids, most commonly found in people over forty years. Usually, this condition occurs on the upper eyelid. Although, it can affect the lower eyelid as well. The most common cause of dermatochalasis is aging.
Various options to treat hooded eyes
If you’re someone who has recently been facing drooping or hooded eyelids, then a question like “How to lift hooded eyelids?” might cross your brain. Well, to answer this, several methods are listed below that might be of use.
As you grow older, your eyelids stretch so the muscles holding them loosen up. As a consequence, extra fat may accumulate up and below your eyelids, causing wilting eyebrows, hanging upper lids, and bags under your eyes.
Blepharoplasty is a form of surgery that corrects droopy eyelids and may include removing excess skin, fat, and muscle. Moreover, it can reduce vision difficulties caused by hooded eyes, which leads to upper eyelid tightening. However, the surgical approach is less preferred compared to non-surgical options.
These options are comparatively cheaper, less invasive, and tend to produce outstanding results. Multiple studies suggest that these non-surgical eyelift treatment helps produce new collagen in the skin, helps to create the impression of a skin lift without any operation.
Listed below are some of the non-surgical eyelift approaches.
Botulinum injections (Botox) are a range of cosmetic injections named neuromodulators that uniform fine lines and creases by acting on the muscles. It works well for frown lines and wide wrinkles that can develop between your eyebrows.
Mechanism of action for Botox for hooded eyes
Most of the cases of hooded eyes are either due to eyebrow drooping or low eyebrow position.
During botox procedure, doctors inject tiny amounts of botulinum injections into the lower portion of the forehead and outer part of the eyebrows. These injections tend to deaden the depressor muscle responsible for your eyebrow sagging while keeping the elevator muscles, which raise the brow, intact. Elevating the brows a little makes your eyes look more youthful and awake.
Areas treated by Botox injections?
These injections can treat multiple skin problems/areas listed below.
- Forehead wrinkles, especially in the middle region
- Hooded eyes
- Under-eye bags and dark circles
- Wrinkles around the eyes
- Sagging eyebrows
- Frown lines
- The glabella is the area present between the eyebrows. This area is prone to wrinkles.
- Crow’s feet which is the area around the eyes.
- Smoker’s lines
- Neckbands or cords
How long does Botox last?
The results from these are not permanent. In general, Botox lasts for three to four months. Although, in some cases, they tend to last up to six months also. Hence, the recommended treatment by doctors is once every three to six months.
Advantages of Botox
Compared to other surgical approaches, the botox method offers a wide range of benefits listed down below.
- It is a quick procedure that usually does not take more than ten minutes. There is also no recovery period, allowing you to get back to your daily activities.
- It is an excellent method to provide the eyelid lift that your sagging eyes need.
- It provides instantaneous results that are usually visible within two to three weeks.
- It is one of the least invasive methods compared to surgery.
- Compared to other surgical methods, it is a more affordable option.
- There are rare side effects and health risks.
Dermal fillers are injectable that use skin-plumping solutions to fill in wrinkles and sagging skin. There are multiple brand names used, and the most popular one is produced by Yastrid.
When dealing with hooded eyelid issues, hyaluronic acid fillers are very efficient. Due to the property of hyaluronic acid to stimulate collagen and elastin protein synthesis in the skin, these fillers play a significant role in the process.
Mechanism of action of dermal fillers
The procedure depends on the type of filler used, but the overall steps are as follows.
- The area injected is first marked by your healthcare provider.
- After numbing the area, your doctor injects the filler via a needle.
- Usually, each eye requires one or more injections.
- Lastly, after withdrawing the syringe, the filler is evened out.
How long do they last?
The overall life span of these fillers depends on their type. Some can last for six to twelve months, while others can last up to five years.
Advantages of dermal fillers
- It is better than a surgical approach as no downtime or recovery time is needed.
- Compared to surgery, it offers a cheaper alternative.
- Immediate results are seen in your eyes as they look alive, youthful, and fresh.
- Some fillers provide very long-lasting effects, up to five years.
- The risks and side effects of the procedure are highly minimal.
- These fillers help to promote collagen and elastin in your skin that is essential for providing an enhanced youthful look.
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
PRP is another type of non-surgical approach used to lift hooded eyes and rejuvenate the skin. However, unlike Botox injections and dermal fillers, PRP uses your own body’s blood. Your healthcare worker uses the centrifugation technique before inoculating the sample back in your body. The effects of this treatment last for a longer duration, from anywhere between twelve months to two years. It is also a less invasive, cost-effective, faster, and easier method compared to surgery. PRP has shown remarkable results in all age groups.
Radiofrequency therapy offers a non-surgical approach that helps the skin in producing more collagen. Your healthcare worker uses a device that emits ultrasound radiation which stimulates collagen production in the desired areas. This therapy treats hooded eyes, under-eye bags, wrinkles, and fine lines by making the skin look firm, even, tight, and elastic. Moreover, wrinkles around other areas like the forehead and mouth can also be treated, along with the eyes.
Another name for this technique is laser resurfacing. It uses lasers to remove the upper layers of your skin so that new cells can grow from underneath. It also heats the lower layers to promote collagen production, makes the skin smoother and more elastic. Moreover, lasers tend to tighten the skin below the eyes, decrease bagginess and dark circles, and treat drooping eyelids. It offers a comparatively painless and accurate procedure.
Time required for results to show up in non-surgical eyelifts
Non-surgical eyelifts for hooded eyes provide immediate and effective results. However, the results are not permanent. Depending on the method used, effects take a few weeks to show up fully but can last months. For example, botox injections last up to six months, whereas dermal fillers can work as high as five years.
Advantages of the non-surgical hooded eye approach
Usually, people prefer the non-surgical approach due to the following reasons.
- Unlike eyelift surgery, these methods are non-invasive. During this process, the patient hardly feels any pain as the making of incisions does not occur.
- This treatment allows instant results within weeks, which improve with time over a couple of months. Whereas surgery leads to inflammation, causing a delay in results.
- You will look younger and fresher immediately after this lift due to the tightening of sagging skin.
- These treatments are more affordable than other alternatives, such as eyelift surgery.
- Customization of the results takes place as each person has their preferences.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Q) What causes hooded eyes?
The primary cause of hooded eyes is aging. With time, the skin starts to lose elastin and collagen proteins. This change causes it to sag and becomes droopy. Wrinkles around the eyes also become more evident. Typically this process starts from the age of 40 years but progresses with time. Other causes include genetic factors, excessive eye rubbing, contact lenses, previous eye surgery, and diseases like myasthenia gravis.
Q) Can hooded eyes be corrected?
Yes, you can correct hooded eyes either with surgery or with other non-surgical methods. Eyelid operation is known as blepharoplasty. It eliminates extra skin or fat from the eyelids. The surgery to fix sagging eyelids requires making a minute incision and removing skin or fat from the eyelids before closing the cut again.
On the other hand, non-surgical techniques include botox injections, dermal fillers, laser therapy, etc. If you’re considering any of these options, then you might want to research a bit on “Hooded eyes before and after.” Examining this will show you the effects of the extent to which hooded eyes are corrected.
Q) How can I make my eyes less hooded?
Apart from surgical and non-surgical methods, you can get rid of hooded eyes using the following techniques.
- Use ice cubes at least twice a day on top of your eyelids, or wash your eyes with ice-cold water.
- Improve your diet, increase the intake of vitamin B12 and resveratrol. These substances have anti-aging effects.
- Drink green tea. It can repair sun damage and tighten the skin around eyelids.
- Apply cucumber juice and aloe vera gel on hooded eyes.
- Avoid sun exposure
Although methods like these tend to make eyes less hooded, the most effective and less invasive ones are the non-surgical methods.
Q) Do hooded eyes get worse with age?
Yes, hooded eyes get more prominent with age. As time passes, the skin on the upper eyelid loses its elasticity and becomes saggy. Furthermore, collagen production decreases with age. Collagen holds the skin fibers together, giving the skin a tight appearance. Without collagen, wrinkles and fine lines start to appear.
Q) How much does an eyelid lift cost?
The average cost of cosmetic eyelid surgery is $4,120 in the USA. This expense is only a part of the total cost. It does not include additional prices. On the other hand, the cost for botox injections is up to $800 per visit. Furthermore, the cost for dermal fillers is between $682 and $915 per syringe. Hence, non-surgical methods are comparatively cheaper.
Non-surgical treatments for hooded eyes are safe and cost-effective. Hence, if you’re suffering from eye bags and hooded eyes then this procedure is the best option for you.
Yastrid dermal fillers, botox, and other non-invasive products are available at premium-quality. If you’re interested to know more about us, contact us now!