Would you like to undergo a microneedling session to get youthful, smoother, and glowing skin?
However, people who have been through this treatment know that it is too costly ranging between $200-$800 per session.
So, here’s the good news! You can do it yourself from the comfort of your home at an economical cost. You will get the same results as you would if you had visited a dermatologist’s clinic.
This article has brought you the list of few pens to try as per your skin-related issues. It has also shown you a guide on how to select the best microneedling pen.
So, you can easily buy the right one after knowing its ins and outs. Read on to find out more.
What is a microneedling pen?
A microneedling pen vibrates and boosts collagen production while pricking the skin with its miniature fine needles. These needles do not damage the epidermal layer of the skin.
Hence, you can use it on any skin type to get a toned appearance.
What are the benefits of using a microneedling pen?
Microneedling pens can treat hair issues such as baldness and hair loss.
Other skin-related benefits include:
- Treats acne scars
- Reduces the appearance of large pores
- Smoothens fine lines and deep wrinkles
- Improves skin elasticity
- Treats melasma, hyperpigmentation, and uneven skin tone
- Removes age spots and sunspots
- Treats stretch marks and loose skin
Hence, this procedure is more economical and less irritating. Moreover, it is safe for dark skin tones.
Even a 2016 review article (1) revealed that these pens are less painful and very convenient to treat narrow regions like lips, nose, and around the eyes without harming the adjoined skin.
Although microneedling pens are used mostly on the face, you can use them on any body part as well to treat scars.
You just have to change needle sizes while treating other body parts.
What is the needle length for varied skin issues?
Remember not to use a longer needle that has more than 1.5 mm depth at home.
|Skin issues||Needle length|
|Skin discoloration||0.2-1.0 mm|
|Sagging skin||0.5-1.5 mm|
|Flat acne scar||1.0 mm|
|Deep acne scar||1.5 mm|
Which needle cartridges should you select for the varied skin issues?
|9 pins||Acne scars/marks/pits, obesity, stretch marks|
|12 pins||Deep spot, acne pits/marks|
|24 pins||Crow’s feet, under-eye bags, blemishes|
|36 pins||Crow’s feet, under-eye bags, blemishes, and hydration|
|42 pins||Crow’s feet, under-eye bags, skin rejuvenation, and tightening|
|Nano||Acne scars, fine lines, uneven skin tone, and sunspot|
Buying guide – Criteria to consider while selecting the best microneedling pen?
As there are many microneedling pens available in the market, you are bound to get confused while selecting the right one. In that confusion, you may end up buying the wrong device.
To avoid that situation, go through the following factors before selecting the microneedling pen:
- The size of the needle should neither be too small (<0.2 mm) or too big (>1.5 mm). It should be the right size.Select the microneedling pen that has 4-6 levels of speed settings that ranges from 5000-12000 rpm. The more the speed settings, the more body parts can be treated.
- Get the cartridges with various needles along with the microneedling pen. The more the cartridge, the more needles you get, and the more body parts you can treat. Buy a few cartridge replacements as well.
- Check the material of the microneedling pen. Most of them use aluminum alloy. Select them as they are more durable.
- Select a high-quality needle that is highly durable and should not break easily. These needles should be properly sealed when you finally get the product.
- Microneedling pens come with corded and wireless operation modes. It is better to select the wireless ones as they have rechargeable batteries and ultra-lightweight. So, you can use them anywhere, anytime. For corded ones, you will have to plug them into a power outlet. And it is inconvenient during a power outage since this procedure runs for a longer time.
- Check whether the selected microneedling pen has a genuine FDA label.
- Always buy the branded product to ensure quality and customer satisfaction.
- Check for the pen that comes with a user manual in detail.
- Always make sure to check the customer reviews before purchasing the pen.
- Buy the pen that can be stored easily. Check if it should be stored in a cold or hot place. Also, check if it should be placed away from children.
Here are my 5 picks:
Are you looking out for the best microneedling pen? But this question does not have a direct answer. All the microneedling pens have both pros and cons. Each person has their own preference to use a specific microneedling pen.
You can buy a microneedling pen between $100-$250 on average. However, I have listed 5 microneedling pens according to the available online positive reviews.
|Dr. Pen M8 with 16-pin||– Safe for face and neck to treat wrinkles, scars, crow feet, sagging thin lips, and fine lines.|
– Have 16-pin cartridges
– Available with a cord or cordless
– Digital LED display
– Has 6-speed level
– RPM 1000-16000
– Sturdy and easy to hold
– Battery lasts for 4 hours
– Can adjust the needle length between 0.25 mm to 2.5 mm
|You may not easily get the 16-pin cartridges|
|Dr. Pen Ultima Professional||-Improve skin texture, stretch marks, sagging skin, and aging spots.|
– Pocket friendly
– Available with a cord or cordless with 2 rechargeable batteries
– Can adjust speed level and needle size
– Easy to use
– No side effects
|Packaging can feel slippery if used for a long time.|
|Dr. Pen Ultima A6 Microneedling pen||– All-in-one microneedling kit|
– Totally 24 cartridges – 10 nano pin + 10 (36-pin), and 4 (12-pin)
– Available with a cord or cordless with 2 rechargeable batteries
– Cartridges sterilized by the ETO sterilization procedure
– Work on acne pits, hair problems, wrinkles, etc.
– Value for money pack
– Easy to use and multi-functional
|Can be noisy at some time|
|Angel Kiss A9 Derma auto microneedling pen kit||– Treats crow’s feet, age spots, acne scar, frown lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, neck bends, and smile lines.|
– Affordable and easy to use
– Fully automatic
– High-quality material
-Hygienic adjustable microneedles
– A wireless device with 2 rechargeable batteries
– Speed can be adjusted up to 5 settings
– Has 5 pieces of 12-pin sealed cartridges – 0.25 and 0.3 mm.
|Require 2-3 applications for a significant outcome|
Dr. Pen Ultima A1
|– Used for wrinkles, fine lines, scars, dark spots, and stretch marks|
– Comes with two 36-pin cartridges, pen keeping bag, and a storage box
– Available with 2 meters cord
– Offers up to 3 mm needle length with length-adjusting knob
– Speed up to 5 settings with 8000 to 18000 rpm
-Increase skin product absorption by 450%
How to use a microneedling pen?
Any treatment can prove to be successful only when the appropriate before and aftercare instructions are strictly followed.
So, let us go through the steps that can assure proper recovery without any risk of complications.
- Do not apply any cream or undergo any other skin therapy before the microneedling session
- Before you start the procedure, go through the instructions booklet carefully to understand how to use the pen.
How to use it
- Select the right microneedling pen and adjust the length of the needle according to your specific skin issue.
- Sanitize the tip with alcohol for 2 minutes.
- Clean the affected area you want to treat using a gentle cleanser
- Divide the treatment area into sections. Complete one section at a time and proceed with the next.
- Put only slight pressure while treating the affected area. Do not press the pen harder against the target area. Lift the pen while shifting the direction during this microneedling procedure.
- Follow the post-treatment care.
- Sanitize the microneedling pen with alcohol once again before storage.
- Always make sure to wash your hands before touching your treatment area.
- Avoid washing the treatment area for 24 hours. After this duration, you can use a gentle cleanser.
- Avoid rubbing, scratching, or pulling the treatment area
- Avoid exposure to sunlight for 24-48 hours after the session. In case if you have to go out, use a broad-spectrum SPF 50 sunscreen to remain protected from the harmful rays of the skin
- Make sure that you consume more water and stay hydrated
- Avoid using toners and exfoliators.
- Do not apply makeup for a minimum of one week after the procedure.
When shouldn’t you use a microneedling pen?
- Although microneedling pens are effective, there are times you should avoid them.
- Never do more than one microneedling session per day. Else, it may increase the risk of infection to your skin.
- Do not use it over the eyelids.
- Avoid using this pen on the active acne breakouts on the skin to prevent the spread of microbes over the face.
- In case if you have any serious skin ailment or any health condition, do not forget to consult your doctor before undergoing microneedling.
- Both pregnant and breastfeeding females should not undergo this procedure.
Is there any side effect after using the microneedling pen?
No. The use of microneedling pen does not create any potential side effects, if the pre- and post- instructions are followed properly.
At times, people may rarely experience mild side effects like redness, swelling, or a feeling of tightness. These signs will slowly subside within the next 24 hours.
How often can you use a microneedling pen?
Microneedling can be done weekly once or twice.
How long does it take to see significant results after undergoing microneedling pen treatment at home?
Usually, people may start finding visible improvement after three sessions within a 6–8-week interval. However, it may take even 6 weeks in some cases.
How long does the outcome last?
Remember that this treatment is not permanent. It can work for a long duration. One round of sessions usually lasts for about 4-6 weeks in many people.
However, this time duration depends on your skin type, age, skin issues, the extent of damage, treatment area, and the patient’s response to treatment.
Hope this article has helped you find the right tool for microneedling at home. However, do not forget to go through the buying guide and follow the steps to perform this procedure safely.
Long gone are the days where you had to wait longer to get your dermatologist’s appointment.
You can buy the right microneedling pen and give your skin the right treatment it deserves anywhere, anytime!